If You Need Our Help...
If you need help, or know someone who needs help, please note that . . .
- Because the sources of funding for the Department of Social Work, National Philoptochos, are completely private and entirely obtained from Philoptochos Chapters and members of our community, and as we strive to allocate our limited resources as best as possible, we must limit our social work services and financial assistance to members of our own community. As a result, our services target Greek Orthodox and Orthodox Christian individuals and families throughout the United States of America, as well as Greek and Cypriot nationals, regardless of their immigration status, who are in the United States.
- Financial assistance, when need is properly documented, is awarded regardless of an individual’s immigration / citizenship status and as long as the services rendered – medical care, housing, etc. – are provided in the United States.
- Those seeking our help who are not Orthodox Christians are provided information and referrals to other appropriate organizations and agencies.
WHEN FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE IS REQUESTED . . .
- Our grants are limited in scope, nature and amount
- An interview will be conducted, and documentation of income and expenses will be requested
- Our grants, generally, are one time assistance, as we do not have the capacity to provide ongoing financial support to any individual or family
- Payments are generally made directly to the providers of service, such as the landlord, utility company, health provider or other vendor
- Our approval process can take between 2 - 4 weeks before a bill can be paid.
OUR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE CAN HELP COVER NEEDS SUCH AS . . .
- helping prevent evictions, foreclosures, and utility shut-offs
- assisting victims of domestic violence to relocate to a safe environment
- contributing to uncovered medical costs including meeting health insurance premiums and co-payments
- authorizing emergency oil deliveries for those who have exhausted low income heating assistance through government and nonprofit resources
- assisting with daily living costs such as food and clothing, frequently through awarding supermarket or department store gift cards
- contributing to the cost of funerals of indigent members of our community.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK:
- Please click on the following documents – Application for Assistance, and Consent for Release of Information. Download each, complete and sign them, and then either mail or fax them to our office.
- If you feel that the questions on the application form do not adequately describe your situation, please write an addendum and submit it with your application.
- By signing the consent form, you give us permission to contact, if necessary, others regarding your situation, such as your doctor, social worker or other medical provider.
MAIL, FAX OR SCAN AND EMAIL THESE FORMS TO:
Paulette Geanacopoulos, LMSW
National Philoptochos Department of Social Work
126 East 37th Street
New York, NY 10016
Main Number: 212.977.7770
Confidential Social Work Telephone: 212.977.7782
Once we have received the forms, we will review them and contact you directly. You will be asked to provide documentation of your situation – we will discuss the specifics that you will be asked to submit when we contact you. Please let us know the best time of day to reach you – keep in mind that we are located on the east coast.
Periodically, natural or other disasters occur that devastate lives. In these times, Philoptochos stands ready to assist in ways that are in addition to the regular help we provide. As such occurrences take place, we will update this page to inform our community of the help that is available.