Fact Sheets & Resources
SERVICES AND RESOURCES TO HELP EDUCATE MEMBERS OF OUR COMMUNITY ABOUT THE ISSUES WE FACE
In addition to the services outlined on this website, the Social Work office develops fact sheets on issues facing members of our community to expand their knowledge base and to inform them of available resources.
FINDING LOCAL RESOURCES
Click on the right and left arrows in the Flip Book below to page through the material. Zoom and print capabilities are available via the More icon at the top.
FACTS ABOUT OVARIAN CANCER PHILOPTOCHOS WOMEN NEED TO KNOW
Is it an ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer?
Is it an abdominal condition or ovarian cancer?
Is it constipation or ovarian cancer?
OVARIAN CANCER is a deadly disease that kills more women than all other reproductive cancers combined. Because it is hard to detect - there is no one reliable test to identify it - and as some of its symptoms are similar to other conditions, it is important to recognize its signs so that we can act quickly and appropriately. As a women's organization, it is equally important for us to "get the word out" - to our mothers, aunts and grandmothers, to our daughters, neighbors and friends so that they know what to look for. To help you do so, we have prepared an "Ovarian Cancer Fact Sheet" - both in Greek and in English.
During National Philoptochos' January Cancer Commitment month, we urge you to take one or more of the actions to broadly distribute these Fact Sheets throughout your Chapter, parish, and community-at-large:
- Ask your priest to include both in your Sunday Bulletin.
- Distribute copies to the organizations in your Church, including Parish Council, GOYA, Greek and Sunday Schools, Parent Organizations, senior citizen groups, and more.
- Post both Fact Sheets in the women's rooms of your Church.
- Place both Fact Sheets in a public area of your Church.
- Ask a local newspaper to publish the Fact Sheets and ask the local "health editor" to write an article on ovarian cancer.
- Invite a gynecological oncologist from a local hospital or cancer society to one of your
- Philoptochos Shares Info on Ovarian Cancer, p. 6, The National Herald, February 1-7, 2014
- Breast Cancer
- Elder Abuse
- Talking To Your Children About Violent Events
- When Your Child Goes to The Hospital
- Definition of Autism
- Health Insurance Reform Laws
- Effects of Autism on the Disabled Child's Siblings: Washington Post 09.03.2012
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE MANUAL: Identifying and Responding to Domestic Violence in the Greek Orthodox Community
- What to Say to a Woman You Think is Being Abused
OLDER ADULT SERVICES
- Benefits eligibility screening for people over age 55 - Free service of the National Council on Aging
- Eldercare Locator - Service of the Administration on Aging, US Department of Health and Human Services: Local programs and services for older people and their familes can be accessed via "Eldercare Locator" a public service of the Administration on Aging, US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) online or at 1.800.677.1116. Its web address is http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx
RESOURCES FOR CANCER PATIENTS:
- HOPE LODGE: Free, temporary housing for cancer patients and their families provided by the American Cancer Society in 31 locations throughout the USA
SUBSTANCE ABUSE & MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
- Finding local substance abuse and mental health treatment prgrams - Search the national databank of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services.
- 12 Step Peer Support Groups To Complement & Supplement Professional Treatment and Services
- To access the nationwide databank of local substance abuse programs services go to https://findtreatment.samhsa.
- To access the nationwide databank of local mental health treatment programs services go to https://findtreatment.samhsa.
BURIAL BENEFITS FOR U.S. VETERANS
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REFER A PERSON IN NEED, CONTACT:
Paulette Geanacopoulos, LMSW
National Philoptochos Department of Social Work
Telephone: 212.977.7782 Fax: 212.977.7784