Fact Sheets and Resources
OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK: RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
In addition to the services outlined on this website, the Social Work office develops fact sheets on issues facing members of our community to expand their knowledge base and to inform them of available resources.
- Breast Cancer
- Elder Abuse
- Talking To Your Children About Violent Events
- When Your Child Goes to The Hospital
- Proposed Changes in Definition of Autism
- Health Insurance Reform Laws
- Effects of Autism on the Disabled Child's Siblings: Washington Post 09.03.2012
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE MANUAL: Identifying and Responding to Domestic Violence in the Greek Orthodox Community
- Clergy Perspective on Domestic Violence
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PANEL DISCUSSION Q&A FOLLOW-UP: Responses to the questions about domestic violence that were presented to the panelists at the 2012 Convention, but were not answered due to time constraints.
- What to Say to a Woman You Think is Being Abused.
- What to Do When a Woman Confides in You.
OLDER ADULT SERVICES
- Benefits eligibility screening for people over age 55 - Free service of the National Council on Aging
- Eldercare Locator - Service of the Administration on Aging, US Department of Health and Human Services: Local programs and services for older people and their familes can be accessed via "Eldercare Locator" a public service of the Administration on Aging, US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) online or at 1.800.677.1116. Its web address is http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx
RESOURCES FOR CANCER PATIENTS:
- HOPE LODGE: Free, temporary housing for cancer patients and their families provided by the American Cancer Society in 31 locations throughout the USA
- CLEANING FOR A REASON: Free house cleaning service for women undergoing treatment for any type of cancer
- LIMITED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE - nationwide / provided by Cancer Care
- EXISTING WITH CANCER: A Blog by Christopher Yallourakis Beck
SUBSTANCE ABUSE & MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
- Finding local substance abuse and mental health treatment prgrams - Search the national databank of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services.
- 12 Step Peer Support Groups To Complement & Supplement Professional Treatment and Services
- To access the nationwide databank of local substance abuse programs services go to http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/TreatmentLocator/faces/quickSearch.jspx
- To access the nationwide databank of local mental health treatment programs services go to http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/MHTreatmentLocator/faces/quickSearch.jspx
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REFER A PERSON IN NEED, CONTACT:
Paulette Geanacopoulos, LMSW
National Philoptochos Department of Social Work
Telephone: 212.977.7782 Fax: 212.977.7784