Children's Medical Fund
To open the above documents, you may need to click on the Enable Editing button or the VIEW- EDIT DOCUMENT drop down menu.
Since its establishment in 1989, the Children's Medical Fund has sought to provide medical assistance to critically ill Greek, Greek American and Orthodox children, whose families are unable to afford appropriate and necessary medical treatment. The Fund also provides grants for innovative research programs to pediatric hospitals throughout the United States and to organizations with special programs that care for children with critical and life threatening illnesses.
History and Grant Distribution
The Children's Medical Fund Luncheon began as the Cancer Fund Luncheon in 1989 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City and was followed by a second Cancer Fund Luncheon in 1990. These successful events provided funds for Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital, for the Greek Children's Cancer Fund and for the Kids-n-Cancer program. In 1991, this event was officially named the Children's Medical Fund Luncheon, and it became a biennial event hosted on a rotating basis within the Direct Archdiocesan District and eight Metropolises of the Archdiocese.
Since its inception, the National Philoptochos has raised over $2.7 million for the Children's Medical Fund, and has awarded over $2.6 million in grants to hospitals and organizations. The remaining funds have been disbursed for children in need through grants handled by the Social Services department at the National Philoptochos office.
National Philoptochos Society's Biennial Children's Medical Fund Luncheon was held on Saturday, October 12, 2013 at the Fairmont, Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA
A total of $136,900 was distributed at the 2013 Children's Medical Fund Luncheon.
The 2013 Children's Medical Fund Luncheon Recipients:
- The Angel's Closet in Stroutsburgh, PA $1,500
Project: Clothing & Supplies for Newborns
- Aultman Hospital in Canton, OH $3,500
Project: Ideal Nutrition for Preterm Infants
- The Childhood League Center in Columbus, OH $10,000
Project: Capable Families - Social Worker Family Support
- Children's Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Center in Pittsburgh, PA $10,000
Project: Child's Way - Acute & Chronic Medical Needs
- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation in Pittsburgh, PA $12,000
Project: Vaccine-Based Immunotherapy for Childhood Gliomas
- Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital in Cleveland, OH $20,000
Project: Caring for Our Kids - Support for Families of Children with Blood Disorders and Cancer
- Genre's Kids with Cancer Fund in Irwin, PA $9,000
Project: Electronics for Kids with Cancer
- New Horizons Youth and Family Center in Lancaster, OH $12,000
Project: TeenScreen Program
- Pinnacle Health Children's Resource Center in Harrisburgh, PA $16,500
Project: Medical Examination & Counseling Services
- University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, OH $21,000
Project: Diabetes Technology Clinic
- Variety the Children's Charity in Pittsburgh, PA $5,400
Project: Adaptive Bikes for Children with Disabilities
- Weirton Christian Center in Weirton, WV $5,000
Project: Journey Transportation Project
- West Virginia University Children's Hospital in Morgantown, WV $11,000
Project: Pediatric Supportive Care Program
- Press Release - National Philoptochos Children's Medical Fund Luncheon Awards $136,900 for Children's Health and Research
- National President Aphrodite Skeadas' remarks at the Children's Medical Fund Luncheon
- Chidren's Medical Fund Luncheon Donations 2002-2013
- Children's Medical Fund - Grant Recipients 1989 - 2011
2011 Children's Medical Fund Luncheon